The workshop took place in Stuttgart on October 4-6, 2023, as a cooperation of the Université Paris-Saclay and the University of Stuttgart. It was organized by Brice Flamencourt, Andrei Moroianu, Paul Schwahn and Uwe Semmelmann. It attracted 34 international and national participants.
The aim of this workshop was to bring together experts in the field of Einstein manifolds as well as young researchers. The workshop featured 13 different talks from various subjects surrounding the topic of Einstein manifolds, such as stability and rigidity problems, Ricci solitons, special spinors, gauge theory, homogeneous manifolds, instantons, generalizations of the Einstein condition and other aspects of curvature.
The Einstein condition is viewed by many as the "most interesting" notion of constant curvature, since there are not too many and not too few examples of Einstein manifolds. In the 1980s the brightest minds of the field rallied once more under the banner of the Besse group, as they had before. This time the result was an epochal work on the topic of Einstein manifolds. Still, there were many open questions left.
Time has passed, and more progress has been made. So let us not dwell on the past, but stride forward into the Crazy World of Arthur L. Besse!
- Bernd Ammann (Universität Regensburg)
- Diego Artacho (Imperial College London)
- Rodrigo Avalos (Universität Potsdam)
- Christoph Böhm (WWU Münster)
- Albachiara Cogo (Universität Tübingen)
- Diego Conti (Università di Pisa)
- Lorenzo Foscolo (University College London)
- Stuart James Hall (Newcastle University)
- Mustafa Kalafat (Universität Bonn)
- Klaus Kröncke (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Lorenz Schwachhöfer (TU Dortmund)
- Carlos Shahbazi (Universidad UNED Madrid/Universität Hamburg)
- Ivan Tulli (University of Sheffield)
- Louis Yudowitz (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
The title of the workshop is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the seminal book Einstein manifolds by the collective of authors working under the name Arthur L. Besse as well as to the rock band The Crazy World of Arthur Brown formed by the eponymous legendary singer.